Pages

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Gree CamSlide 1.1

About one year ago I designed my own camera slide. The goal was to be able to make a few time lapse videos and have a platform to shoot videos. While it worked, I was not happy with the results. The hardware was a little to bulky and there were a lot of parts. With the addition of a 3D printer to my arsenal I was able to unleash some creativity and bring some improvements to the design. So the version 2.0 is on the way!

My goal is to use the old software that I designed and programmed with an Arduino. Maybe in the future, I could add an LCD screen to the final project. (I just noticed that A4 and A5 on the Arudino are open, and and I2C can fit there). I proceeded to salvage the old PCB I  fabricated for the early project. 




The board is programmed with some presetting for time lapse photography and linear motion (video) at different time intervals and different linear speeds respectively. I ordered 3 extra boards. I will upload the BRD files and schematics once the revision is completed. 

Since I had some aluminum extrusions for the 3D printer project I decided to use a 2x2 inches square tube, 6 feet long for the slide platform.

2X2 Aluminum Extrusion (6 Feet)

Also I was able to use the custom pulleys fabricated in the lathe, one for each end.

Used some washers to set the height.

Original pulley. I will have to trim this one to maintain the height.



A sneak peek of the rail platform aluminum extrusion with the Urethane belt attached. Urethane belt is part number 6075K11 from McMaster-Carr.

Since I had the rollers from previous project I decided to put them to good use. I acquired them in the local hardware store. They were fairly cheap ( ~US$4.00) each. After some design for the platform I decided to use 3 of the rollers to take the weight of the camera and one roller to secure the camera from falling. The wheels are 1.25 inches in diameter and they measure 1 inch diameter from the lowest sport of the concave diameter.

 I tried to keep the design simple with some cool features to use the 3D printer to it's max capability.
The "S" slot secures the belt in place.
 The main cart is divided in 2 pieces. The vertical piece can be adjusted to keep the cart secure in the rail. Design of the cart is in my Thingiverse page

 Also had some fun designing the end cover of the extrusion to add a finished touch.
 I decided to print the support also. With a 3D printer it is just easier to print and watch the show.

The next goal is to design the cover box for the PCB. I had some fun with EagleCad and added the EagleUp extension to Sketchup. It works like a charm! With a 3D model I will be able to design the case/ box with a little more precision.


No comments:

Post a Comment